Monday, February 1, 2010

Carne Asada Tacos

So, it must be Mexican week around here. I also got the Mexican pack from Bountiful Baskets like La Tisha, and I had no idea what to do with it. Maybe I should have saved my tomatillas for her recipe. Sounds yummy.
Anyway, I went on Allrecipes and did an ingredient search for what I had and the result was these tacos. Here is my version-I made a few tweaks. They were very yummy!

Carne Asada Tacos
Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds boneless beef top sirloin (can use pork sirloin), cut into thin bite-size slices
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
crushed red pepper to taste
Few Key limes
4 Fresh Tomatillas
1 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded, and chopped into big chunks
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
About 3/4 can of chicken broth

Flour tortillas
1 Green Onion, chopped
tomatoes, chopped
1 avocado - peeled, pitted and sliced, and chopped
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped

Directions
Place sliced meat into a shallow bowl, and season with salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper. Squeeze the lime juice over the meat, and turn until evenly coated. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes ( I did for about 7-8 hours)
In a blender or food processor, combine tomatillos and jalapenos with enough water that it will puree (not very much water) . Puree for 15 to 20 seconds, or until thick. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Carefully pour in tomatillo mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Stir in chicken broth. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until mixture coats a spoon. Transfer mixture to a serving dish.
Heat tablespoon oil in a large skillet over high heat. Stir in 1/3 of the beef, and saute for 1 minute. Transfer to serving dish. Repeat with remaining beef.

To serve fill a tortilla with desired amount of meat, spoon over some tomatillo mixture. Top with onions, tomatoes, avocado and cilantro as desired. Squeeze 1/2 of a key lime over your taco when you are ready to eat.

Serve with rice and beans.
Who needs to go to a Mexican Restaurant now? Yum!


2 comments:

  1. I am going to try this recipe tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet blog. Glue guns - not so much for me but spatulas OK. So what if I am your only male follower. I am OK with that. Anyway, maybe now Heather and I can be back in the loop with our foodie friends in Ammon.

    ReplyDelete