Sunday, December 20, 2009

Easy Bread-Maker Bagettes

So, awhile ago I made these bagettes that I saw on Not So Idle Hands and they turned out really good. The directions were easy to follow, but you know me, I wanted to try to SIMPLIFY and use my bread-maker to see how they turned out. Today I had some extra time so I was trying to get as much ready for the week as possible. I was going to make these to freeze and then cut them up to eat with some spinach artichoke dip on Christmas Eve.

To me, it tasted just like the original recipe. It took 1.5 hours in the bread maker, then another hour to rise, then 20 to bake, so if you want it for dinner, start it in the early afternoon.

So, here are my directions:

Easy Bread-Maker Bagettes

1 package dry yeast
1 1/4 cup warm water
3 cups flour (I used 1/2 wheat and 1/2 white)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cornmeal
1 egg

In this order put flour, water, salt, and yeast in your bread maker. Then press the dough setting.

Then divide the dough in half. Working with one portion at a time, roll each portion on a floured surfrace into a thick, 12 inch rope, slightly tapered at each end.

Place ropes on a large baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover again and let them rise till double again (I let them sit for about an hour). Now preheat to oven to 450. Optional: beat 1 egg and brush over the surface, then cut 3 (1/4 inch deep) diagonal slits across the top of each loaf.

Bake @450 for 20 minutes or until browned on the bottom and sounds hollow when tapped. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment