Sunday, May 9, 2010

Menu Planning take 626

DSC05803

I have tried a lot of different systems to organize my recipes and plan my menus. I haven't stuck with any of them. This week I tried something that just might work. I'm kind of excited about it. I read somewhere about having a having a theme for each night of a week.
They listed some suggestions, but I went through my recipes to see what categories we eat the most. Here is what I came up with:

Sunday--Sunday Foods (you know like roasts, scalloped potatoes etc.)
Monday-Mexican
Tuesday-Italian, Pasta, Pizza
Wednesday-Hamburgers, Sliders, Sandwiches, Sloppy Joes, and Wraps
Thursday-Salad, Soups, Chili (I'm the only one who will eat lettuce, but I still make salads that they can eat on rice, chips, or plain)
Friday-Grillin and Meat night- Kind of a man's night, meat and potatoes. (Pork, chicken, steak kebabs etc)
Saturday-Misc.Breakfast for dinner (I have a whole different binder for breakfast), casseroles, and Asian

DSC05804

So, basically after I sorted my recipes, I put them into a big binder with dividers. Then, when I am menu planning I just look through each day, and put the recipe I'm using that day in the front of the section so it easy to find. On the back of the sections divider (which I just cut down a 12x12 to size) I can write down suggestions for that category that don't have recipes ( like tacos), or page numbers of recipes in books that fit that category.

I'm excited. I just planned out the next two weeks.

Mon-BBQ Chicken Quesadillas
Tues-Pasta Meal from freezer group
Wed-Croque Madame Sandwiches
Thurs-Chinese Chicken Salad
Fri-Grilled chicken and Parmesan potatoes
Sat-Breakfast sandwiches
Sun-Scalloped Potatoes with ham
Mon-Crock pot burritos
Tues-Beef Stroganoff from freezer group
Wed-Sloppy Joes
Thurs-Chicken Chowder
Fri-Parmesan Chicken
Sat-Baked egg and ham cups with smoothies


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this idea! I've been struggling, knowing what to have for dinner each night...I am totally going to try this system! :) Great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete