Thursday, January 21, 2010

Scrapbook Paper Wooden Pendants

One of my favorite projects of last year was Makes and Takes Scrabble Tile Pendants. I love how versatile and fun these are to make and wear.

And, one of my favorite blogs is Lil Blue Boo. She seriously makes the cutest things I've ever seen. On my project list was her wooden pendants. So I found these at Michaels for about $4 to try this out. And I think I used my coupon. Anyway-200 of them=cheap. They have circles, etc. but I bought this bag with a variety of shapes.
But the problem was that I couldn't find the gel medium she has in her tutorial. So, I got to thinking-what kind of baby would I have if I married the Scrabble Tiles with the Wooden Pendants?

And this is what I came up! It was almost as exciting as having a real baby. Just kidding. (Mostly)

So, here are the steps.

1) Trace around your wooden shape onto scrapbook paper and cut out.
2) Apply a thin layer of Modge Podge to the wood and press your paper on. Then let dry for a few minutes.
3) Apply a thin layer of Modge Podge on top of this to seal the paper. Let dry for a few minutes. You can then trim around the edges if you have any extra paper. (This is where your Tim Holz scissors are amazing!)
4)Then you can apply your Diamond Glaze. I couldn't find any around here, so my sister had to bring some from Utah. I think they make similar products now like Glossy Accents etc. Let me know if you like one that you try.
5) Let this dry for at least 4 hours.
6) I hate it when my pendants turn over and show their ugly backside, so I repeated these steps to have a two-sided pendant. So this way it doesn't matter if it flips. Just have the same or similar paper on both sides so it still coordinates with what you are wearing. This is the back side of the pendant shown above.
7) To make it into a pendant you have a few options. The wood is pretty thin, so my 1/8th inch punch actually did punch through. It didn't really like it, but it did it. My Big Bite, however punched though it with no problem.
Then you can add a jump ring and then attach to your necklace. I didn't have any jump rings on hand, so I glued a bail to the top of it with jewelry glue instead. You could also drill on hole on top.

The possibilities are endless.

For this ring I took 20 gage wire and twisted into a ring like so:
Then I hot glued the star onto the top so that part wouldn't show or rub your finger.

For this hairclip I just hot glued this star onto a clip. Cute for little girls and big girls. Seriously, I would wear this. Wouldn't you?For the keychain I punched a hole with my Big Bite and slipped a keyring into it. Now go make a whole bunch and see how fun they are.I like them because they are a little chunkier and you can use a bigger pattern than the Scrabble tiles. Plus, you don't have wait to find a Scrabble Set at DI. Scrabble tiles shouldn't have all the fun anyway, don't ya think?

5 comments:

  1. So cute. What a fun variation. Love the barrettes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pendants! I will definitely be making some of these. FYI - I found Golden Gel medium (that Little Blue Boo used) at Michael's in the art department. They carry a nice line of the Golden products.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knittin Kudzu-Thanks for the tip. I was looking in the acrylic paints aisle. I never go to the art aisle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These Designer Pendants a pretty well product for the price. It’s great for colony on a tight budget.

    ReplyDelete