Saturday, August 28, 2010

How to have your ideas...and save on ink too


You could say I have always been addicted to ideas. When I was first married I used to get crafty library books and spend a lot of time copying page after page. Luckily I worked at a copy shop. That was before blogs! (or at least before I knew about blogs)

It has been dangerous for me to know about blogs. I have limit myself. But I can't give up my ideas. I love getting new ideas (Recently, I discovered why. My friend does personality profiling on how to dress, and I have discovered that I am a "1" and "1's" love new ideas!)

So, I was spending a lot of money on ink and paper. I know I could bookmark them, or save them to my computer. But I would much rather look through prinouts that on the screen to choose my next project. Plus, I thought I would save them to my computer and forget all about them.
I rationalized my ink spending habits on the fact that I am pretty low-maintenance. Most of my clothes comes from clearance racks, I don't eat out a lot, I don't get pedi's, etc. Besides, SAHM's need some sort of "out" and this was mine.
But, it was getting a little excessive. I have stacks and stacks of printouts. All great ideas, but I was probably only getting to 1% of them. Soo, recently I started "starring" them on google reader. Then every once in awhile, I will copy the picture, paste it into word, then print the web address under the picture. I will also copy and print recipes this way.
Then, when I do look through my ideas, and get serious about one, I can look up where I can find more detail. I also use grayscale to save on expensive colored ink. Then I have my little filing cabinet divided into categories. It's been working great for me.

Do you have any great organizing ideas for your projects to be?


2 comments:

  1. Even though you love ideas you have a very organized way of doing it, holy crap!! I think there is definitely 2 in you!! My attention span isn't long enough to be that organized!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you have a good system! The computer is a great way to organize everything and avoid printing out pages. But I know what you mean! I still have no interest in reading novels on a computer pad since I love the look and feel of an actual book!

    ReplyDelete