Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Easy Hamburger Cookies


Spring is starting to tease us around here. It was 40 yesterday and I didn't even wear a jacket to run errands! So, it is getting my in the mood for summer foods and parties. Here is an easy treat that I've been making since I was about 9. I got a BHG Kids Cookie Cookbook for Christmas and this recipe came from there. Except, they called for york peppermint patties. Trust me, grasshopper cookies are way yummier.* It is always a hit at BBQ's and better yet, you can sit back and let your kids make the whole thing.


Hamburger Cookies
Few drops water
Few drops green food coloring
1/2 cup flaked coconut
48 vanilla wafers
24 grasshopper cookies
sesame seeds or poppy seeds
Turn over to 350. In a small screw-top jar combine the water and the green food coloring. Add coconut; cover and shake until all of the coconut is tinted. Set aside.
Place half of the vanilla wafers, flat side up on an ungreased cookie sheet. Top each with a grasshopper cookie. Place in the oven for about 1 minute or just until chocolate begins to soften.
Immediately sprinkle each with a tsp. of tinted coconut. Top with another vanilla wafer. Press gently. Brush the top vanilla wafers with just enough water to moisten so the sesame seeds will stick.
Sprinkle each cookie with a little sesame seed and serve.

*Make your own grasshopper cookies. Find out how here.

5 comments:

  1. Those are so ADORABLE! On my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are sooo cute! Any suggestions on what could be used as a substitute for the coconut?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm, cut up green fruit roll ups? I'll have to think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes me wish my daughter's birthday party in two weeks was a cookout just so I could make these. :)

    ReplyDelete