Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Homemade Marshmallow Easter Eggs


This is a work in progess recipe/tutorial. Any additional tips or changes will be in red.

I know what you are thinking, store bought chocolate marshmallow candy isn't really that good. Trust me, I know. I won't touch the stuff. But this homemade version will change your mind. It is soooo good. Even though I haven't finished mine, I have had my MIL's and my sister-in-laws many times.

So, if it is so good, why haven't I tried it yet? A few reasons. One maybe laziness, another maybe a secret rebellion against the family tradition. But, then I heard on the radio about a huckleberry flavor at The Prepared Pantry. And the thought came that a huckleberry flavored chocolate marshmallow Easter egg just might be to die for. (Not that the cherry, lemon, and orange from the in-laws weren't already really good, but come on--Huckleberry!) So, I gathered up the kids and headed to Rigby to get some. While I was there I drooled over the apricot and raspberry flavoring, but decided to be good and only get the huckleberry and the lemon. I might have to go back and get the others very soon.


I, of course, had to sample both flavors in the mixing bowl, and trust me this is going to be good.

So, here is the 411:
Chocolate Marshmallow Easter Eggs
For each batch you will need:
1 Envelope Gelatin
1/3 cup cold water
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla (yeah right!) or other flavoring
Food coloring to match the flavor
Flour
Cold Egg
2 cups chocolate chips (milk chocolate will bring out the flavor better, but I actually love using the candy bar melting bar from Sam's Club, you don't have to add anything to it)
2 Tbs. oil

Put 1-2 inches of water in a pot on high heat to get to a rolling boil. Soften 1 envelope gelatin in 1/3 cup cold water in a glass bowl that will fit over the pot, add sugar. Place over boiling water and stir until dissolved, leave it on the full boil for about 6-7 minutes, then turn off the heat but still leave it on for another 2-3. The liquid should be almost clear. My sister-in-law also said she has let her marshmallows it the fridge before dipping. I haven't tried that yet. I was trying to make two batches at once until I realized I only have one mixer. So, probably better just to do one at a time.

Pour the corn syrup into your mixer bowl. Add flavoring and food coloring. Pour gelatin mixture in and beat on high speed for 10-14 minutes. Mine took 14 minutes. The color and consistency should be toothpaste- like. Not too runny but not too thick either.

While you are waiting for that to mix, prepare your 9x13 pans. Fill them up with flour, and then make depressions with your cold egg. Then take a small measuring cup and start filling up your depressions with the marshmallow mixture. It is kind of fun to play with because it won't stick to the flour.

Let the marshmallows sit on your counter for until set up. I would say at least 6 hours or overnight. They should be fluffy and not gel-like or liquidy on the inside.
When you are ready, melt your chocolate chips and oil together to dip the marshmallows. Put the dipped eggs onto waxed paper on a cookie sheet and set in fridge until it hardens. (About 10-20 minutes).

After it hardens you can decorate with white chocolate drizzles, sprinkles, etc. I did some sugar sprinkles on my first batch, but I actually think it detracted from the flavor. I guess you have to decide if you are going for looks or taste.
My sister-in-law put a great tip in the comments. She said to take a plastic fork and break off the two inner prongs, and it makes a great dipping tool. We took a chocolate dipping class that had a few tips for dipping. If the extra edges around your candy bug you, you can 1) take a knife and shave it off 2) take a super hot glass of water and rub your candy on it. It will melt that extra edge off. I can't remember anymore tips. Read the comments section for some more tips from my sister-in-law.



Trust me, after your family tries these you will have a new Easter tradition to do every year!

7 comments:

  1. Julie, I have let mine set up in the fridge before dipping. Your choclolate might have been to hot if the egg disolved. I think you should share the dipping methods we learned from sugar shell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more hint, take a plastic fork and remove the inner spines, leaving the two outside spines, it makes the perfect dipping tool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great way to melt chocolate for dipping is to us your electric pancake griddle. Turn the griddle on the lowest setting, cover with a old kitchen terry towel, place your chocolate in an old cool whip container and let melt slowly. It will take about 10 minutes, you need to stir occasionally. I like this method better than the microwave because once you over heat chocolate it can never come back.If it can burn I WILL.

    Also when dipping chocolates water is your enemy. If you are flavoring your chocolate it needs to be water free. Check the labels. Most McCormick flavors have water. You can use oils made for making suckers. The oils are very concentrated , a little goes a long way. Beware of water, it will harden your dipping chocolate. If this happens just give the kids a big chunk of chocolate and start over.

    If you want your chocolates to be shiny use true dipping cholcolate. If you use chocolate chips you need to temper it(heat to a certain temp, cool and reheat) which is a big pain.If you don't temper it it will get white spots on it and is not give you that wax/ glossy finish. I use my coupons at Joanns, Micheals, your favorite store to get the dipping chocolates.
    (My new fav is made for chocolate fountains...Chocomaker milk chocolate flavored candy)Wilton makes an okay choclolate. If you are in Idaho Falls the Sugar Shell on the North highway has great chocolate you can buy by the pound. When buying by the pound, to melt your chocolate quickly, chop the chocolate into smaller pieces.

    On a differnt note. You can reuse the flour. Just sift it through colendar.

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. holy huge amount of effort batman

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look so yummy. I haven't been to the Prepared Pantry yet, but I just might have to make the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I have a recipe for marshmallow eggs bur I didn't get a chance to make them this year. Bummer. Yours look so yummy I want some now! Huckleberry flavor?! What a great find!
    Thanks for linking up!
    Come join me for my current giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the candy I grew up on, my mom used to make all of our easter candy...I however haven't been that ambitious yet. I have seen using flour as a mold, my mom just bought molds. Its so fun, I might have to give it a try...next year!!! ;-P

    ReplyDelete